Interactive LED Wall

In this project I built an interactive LED wall display using an Arduino and 3D printed parts. The inspiration for this project came partially from Nanoleaf tiles. I just wanted to come up with my own version that was not only more affordable, but also more interactive. I had also just finished a class project using an LED matrix and wanted to try something on a larger scale.

Here’s The Video: https://youtu.be/bvdeBdbDvRg

Here’s the code: https://github.com/mrme88/Interactive-LED-Wall/blob/master/LED_Wall_main.ino

Follow along with my Instructable: https://www.instructables.com/id/Interactive-LED-Tile-Wall-Easier-Than-It-Looks/

So how much did this cost?

This is a difficult question to answer because I buy a lot of the materials used in bulk but I’ll try and break it down.

LED Strips ~ $60 for 3 rolls
Arduino Mega ~ $15 on sale
PLA ~ $40 for two kg
Tact Switches ~ $15 for 100
Wooden Panel ~ $12
Power Supply ~ $20
Plus about $5 of solder and wire I already had

This brings the total project cost to about $167, which ended up being about the same as the base model nanoleaf set the comes with 6 tiles.

How long did all of this take?

I did the whole project over the course of two weeks. The longest part by far was 3D printing 64 tiles. Since I was only printing three at a time and three tiles took just over 5 hours, the whole board took roughly 192 hours of print time.

Laying down and soldering all of the LEDs took about an hour and a half. Wiring the buttons took about three hours, laying them all down took another hour. Cutting the wood took half an hour including setup and tear down. Designing the CAD for tiles, brackets, and spacers took about 2 hours. Laying down all the tiles took an hour. I also spent about an hour doing cable management and other cleanup. Writing the code also took about three hours including troubleshooting.

In total over the course of two weeks I spent a total of 13 hours on this project.

I’m very happy with the result and it does everything I expected it to do. I spent more money on it then I intended but it still came out cheaper than the Nanoleaf tiles I was trying to improve on. Plus the price I paid was for 64 interactive tiles I can add features to; Nanoleaf’s starter kit only comes with 6 and features are limited to animations.

Some future features I have planned are:
– An audio visualizer using a mic and the FFT Arduino library
– Checkers
– Tic tac toe
– Battleship
– Reversi
– Memory
– And plenty more games that can be played on a grid.

This is my first time recording and editing a video for YouTube so please head over to my channel and leave a comment letting me know if there’s something you’d like me to do different for the next one!

Used in this project:

Tact Switches – https://amzn.to/2LyLAFy
Arduino Mega – https://amzn.to/33LDGz0
WS2812b Addresable LEDs – https://amzn.to/37U95CN
5V 10A power supply – https://amzn.to/2WeQKgd
18 gauge wire – https://amzn.to/2OJbqZC
Wire stripper – https://amzn.to/2DCPYir
Soldering iron – https://amzn.to/33DzfWY
Heat shrink – https://amzn.to/2P51adb
3D Printer – https://amzn.to/382uVnp
PLA filament – https://amzn.to/2qdLoEm

27 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *